This Cathedral was ruined in 1647. The round tower was built about 900 years ago. The Rock of Cashel has been a fortress or a religious site for thousands of years. It is also called Cashel of the Kings and St. Patrick's Rock.
The oldest building still standing is the round tower which is about 900 years old.
The Rock of Cashel has been a fortress or a religious site for thousands of years. It is also called Cashel of the Kings and St. Patrick's Rock (Carraig Phádraig). In 977 the Dál gCais usurper, Brian Boru, was crowned here as the first non-Eóghanacht king of Cashel and Munster in over five hundred years. In 1101 his great-grandson, King Muirchertach Ua Briain, gave the place to the bishop of Limerick, thus denying it forever to the MacCarthys, the senior branch of the Eóganachta.
This free ebook, https://books.google.com/books?id=ao5DAQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA81&ots=TySIzKZJ2B&dq=Saint%20Patrick's%20baptism%20of%20King%20Aengus%2C%20from%20An%20Illustrated%20History%20of%20Ireland&pg=PA85#v=onepage&q&f=false, has a story of how St. Patrick baptized King Aengus here in about the year 445.
This page is on a slow server. Please be patient while the pictures load.
Copyright 2007, A-Wee-Bit-of-Ireland.com