This is Minard Castle. It was built by the Knight of Kerry and destroyed by the forces of Oliver Cromwell. Walter Hussey had a garrison in the castle in 1641. The castle was beseiged by Colonels Lehunt and Sadler. The ruins of this castle are located on the Dingle Peninsula in County Kerry, Ireland.
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/other/abl/etext/irish/reminiscences/reminiscences.html REMINISCENCES OF AN IRISH LAND AGENT BEING THOSE OF S. M. HUSSEY Compiled by HOME GORDON
It is also recorded that in the parish of Killiney is a strong-hold called Castle Gregory, which before the wars of 1641 was possessed by Walter Hussey, who was proprietor of the Magheries and Ballybeggan. Having a considerable party under his command, he made a garrison of his castle, whence having been long pressed by Cromwell's forces, he escaped in the night with all his men, and got into Minard Castle, in which he was closely beset by Colonels Lehunt and Sadler. After some time had been spent, the English observing that the besieged were making use of pewter bullets, powder was laid under the vaults of the castle, and both Walter Hussey and his men were blown up.
Prior to this, 'on January 31, 1641, Walter Hussey, with Florence MacCarthy and others, attacked Ballybeggan Castle, plundered and burnt the house of Mr. Henry Huddleston, and did the same to the house and haggards of Mr. Hore, where they built an engine called a saw, having its three sides made musket-proof with boards. It was drawn on four wheels, each a foot high, with folding doors to open inwards and several loopholes to shoot through, without a floor, so that ten or twelve men who went therein might drive it forwards. These machines were set against castle walls whilst the men within them attempted to make a breach with crows and pickaxes.'
This page is on a slow server. Please be patient while the pictures load.
Copyright 2007-2008, A-Wee-Bit-of-Ireland.com